Monday, September 15, 2008

One year ago, today... and some other good things.


One year ago today...

I married a man who is most incredible. It is interesting how God's goodness demonstrated itself in spite of my attitude.

If you don't know me, or how I was in the past, I could rule out a guy or the most measly of little things. For example... I wouldn't date one guy because he ate oreos in a weird way, making his teeth covered with chocolate. One guy, I claimed, had floppy hair, when in actuality it wasn't at all. I would say things like, 'he is boring', 'he is too into himself', 'he isn't motivated enough,' 'he's too quiet', he's too loud', 'he works too much,'... I could go on.

Something happened in my heart when it came to Slim. I heard God's voice, and responded. I could have come up with a thousand reasons to not give him a chance, but I only needed one reason to... and that was that God said so.

This past year of marriage has been so amazing. Everyone always says that the first year is the hardest. Don't get me wrong there have been hard times. IE. Slim's gear getting stolen, best friends moving away, best friends struggling through issues, Dude getting hit by a car, job changes, infertility issues, family passing away, Slim getting hit by a car (be watching his blog for this story), money problems, stress, again the list could go on...

Isn't it so great that God knows our every need, because Slim completes me 100%. When I would worried, he would be calm, when I felt like I couldn't trust God, Slim knew He was in control. When I want to scream, Slim would make me laugh instead.

God, thank you for giving me a husband who loves you, loves me, and loves others.

Slim, thank you for being my very best friend; for being the one who I can sit with and talk to for hours. Thanks for letting me be my goofy self, and for always valuing me before other earthly things.

Baby, cheers and here's to forever...


In other news... Here is the Jones' baby update
1. Last night at 10:24 my phone rang, and it was Carly- her contractions were 3-4 minutes apart. She had to turn the phone over to Kevin because she was about to have another.
2. Kevin informed me that the doula was on her way to the house, and then they would reevaluate when she got there.
3. At 1:45 I got a text letting me know that the midwife was on her way.
4. At 5:58 Kevin called and said that they were at the hospital- in VA there are no stand-alone birthing centers, so if you use a midwife, you are in a room attached to a hospital. They arrived there at 4:45 and Carly was at 7 centimeters. It was now 6am and she was 7.5, so not a huge difference. He said that she was doing great, and was working through the contractions really well! Kev has no reception in the hospital, so in order to talk, he had to go all the way outside. I told him that it was ok if I didn't get a phone call at the immediate instance that the baby was born, being that he would have had to go all the way outside.

That is the only update that I have for now, but keep checking back.

4 comments:

Teri said...

Hi Laura!
I really hope you check your blog periodically because I'm dying to talk to you! Could you call me so that we can compare notes? I sent you an email with my number.
Hope to hear from you soon!
-Teri

Jason, Nicole, and Rowen said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Thanks for the update on your friend Carly...I don't even know her and I have been checking for baby news; I know, it is a blog sickness!!! Love ya!

MommyB said...

Hip hip hurray!! So happy for you two!

MommyB said...

I'm assuming Libby will be born on your anniversary! What a great gift.